The meatloaf is one of the most classic recipes in the American cookbook. The meaty dish is practically part of the family! It’s easy to see why, right? Meatloaves are fork-tender, meaty, hearty, savory and satisfying — the dish might very well be the single best thing to cook with ground beef.
Today we’re making meatloaf, but this is not your good old grandma’s recipe, we’re making the delicious dish in a modern slow cooker, and we’re making it low-carb and keto-friendly.
Why a slow cooker? The handy appliance cooks food low and slow and delivers fork-tender results every time. The food is not only juicier and softer but more nutritious, too! Besides, you just need to put the ingredients in the Crock-pot and forget about it.
What You’ll Need
To make a slow cooker keto meatloaf, you need a few everyday ingredients, starting with ground beef, an egg, some seasonings, including salt, pepper, cooking herbs, powdered onion and garlic. We’re also adding a whole can of V8 juice, don’t ask why; it’s tradition, and since we can’t add the traditional ketchup because it’s just too sugary, the V8 juice will add some tomato richness to the meatloaf.
I know what you’re thinking. Is V8 low carb? It is. It has 8 grams of simple carbs, naturally comming from carrots and beets, and when divided into an 8-serving meatloaf, the dish is practically carb-free.
And I almost forgot, regular meatloaf has some breadcrumbs, but we’re adding some crunchy almond meal instead. And we’re also adding a whole lot of Parmesan because the Italian cheese just makes everything better!
What to Serve with This Delicious Meatloaf?
Meatloaf is a fantastic, meaty main course, but it needs some supporting actors to shine. Here are some neat side dish ideas.
- Buttery peas. sautéed with some diced onions, peas are a fantastic side dish. When flavored with melted butter, the pearly greens become that kind of veggie no one can refuse.
- Roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon. This quick and easy side dish adds some greens and extra fatty protein to the meal. Actually, bacon and meatloaf are super compatible, as if they were born to be served together!
- Creamed spinach. This super easy and colorful side dish is just spinach, butter, garlic, onions, heavy cream and some seasonings, but it’s luscious and insanely tasty. It’s obviously super nutritious, too.
- Slow-cooked green beans are nice sides for meatloaf, too; their delicious snappy bite and green, earthy flavors are immensely satisfying!
When to Make Meatloaf?
This one is easy. Meatloaf is the quintessential comfort dish for family get-togethers. It’s not only wholesome and filling, but it also tastes like home, no matter where you are.
It comes without saying meatloaf is also a lovely dish you can enjoy for a weeknight dinner and the next day for lunch. Meatloaf is a noble leftover; you can make sandwiches with low-carb bread or some exciting lettuce wraps. Meatloaf can do it all! Let’s check out the recipe and make meatloaf!
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar free ketchup
- 1/4 cup mustard
- 1//2 cup almond meal
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Cooking herbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 tsp powdered onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 pounds ground beef
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Line the slow cooker with foil and spray the foil with cooking oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients until completely incorporated and pour into the slow cooker.
- Cook at low heat for 3 to 4 hours until the center of the loaf reads 160°F.
- Remove from the slow cooker and allow the juices to distribute for ten minutes before slicing and serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 7 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 471Total Fat: 30gCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 41g