Pizza, there, I said it. Need I say more? Pizza is the single most popular food item in the world, so much that you can have one in less than 30 minutes in every corner of the planet. Isn’t that something?
What’s not so awesome is that, although pizza is quite healthy compared to most fast food, it’s still 80% carbs. Did you know there are up to 300 calories in a single slice of pizza? The truth is that we could all live without all that extra energy. The need for a low-carb pizza is real!
Well, there’s more good news, you’ll find a tried-and-tested recipe for a low-carb chicken & spinach cream cheese pizza below, and although, yes, it’s healthier than regular pizza, it’s still decadently delicious and cheesy!
What Goes into a Low-Carb Pizza?
What all low-carb pizzas will have in common, though, is the crust — because you just can’t use regular pizza crust or follow a standard recipe for pizza dough. Here’s where the innovation kicks in.
To make the low-carb crust, we combine melted mozzarella, cream cheese, one egg and almond flour. After we blind-bake the crust (that means we’re baking it first without toppings), it’s ready to fulfill all your pizza dreams! And one more thing, a pinch of salt, dried herbs like oregano and garlic powder are excellent add-ons that will give personality to the pizza crust.
A low-carb pizza doesn’t need to look very different from regular pizzas, so you can make yours with mushrooms, pepperoni, olives or minced meat. For my pizza, I went all the way with a unique combination of cream cheese, diced chicken and spinach, and it’s fantastic! But that’s just me. Do experiment and make your own pizza.
How Does This Low-Carb Pizza Taste Like?
Sure, not using all-purpose flour to make pizza is great, but how does the pizza taste like? Well, imagine a crusty, slightly puffy and beautifully golden pizza base; that’s just what you’ll get. It reminds me of those pizzas from traditional Italian places where they use stone ovens. It’s bready, yes, but also nicely crunchy.
As for the chicken & spinach topping, think of a garlicky and creamy topping with the comfort chicken brings to the table and a pleasantly bitter bite from the leafy green. This is a fantastic white pizza with tons of flavor and nutrition.
When to Make a Low-Carb Pizza?
I know it sounds silly, but I’m answering this one, anyway. This pizza is a delicious lunch and a fun dinner. And you know what else is fun? Calling some friends over and let everyone make their own pizza. Pizza parties are fantastic, especially when you can enjoy as much pizza as you want guilt-free. Let’s see who comes up with the best pizza topping!
Seriously, this is one of my favorite recipes, and not just for pizza; this is a complete meal that’s as tasty as it is satisfying. This is one of those that just leave you with a smile on your face.
Low carb Chicken and Spinach Cream cheese Pizza
a garlicky and creamy topping with a comforting bite from chicken and the leafy green with bready but also nicely crunchy crust. This is a fantastic white pizza, that too low carb!
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp. cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground oregano
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 cup chicken
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- for the crust, melt the mozzarella cheese over a double boiler or in a microwave, once melted, add cream cheese and the egg and mix well.
- Then add almond flour, salt, garlic powder and oregano, mix with a spatula until a dough starts to form.
- at this point the dough will still be quiet sticky, dust almond flour over the dough and in the bowl, dusted almond flour will stick to dough from the outside, giving structure to the dough while keeping it soft on the inside, Do not mix the dusted almond flour within the dough. (this is important, otherwise your crust will harden, you need crusty exterior and soft interior, Do not knead the dough with your hands.)
- grease your baking tray with oil and line it with parchment paper, oil your hands, transfer the dough to the baking tray, with your fingers gently press the dough into the shape of a pizza, do not keep the crust too thick, fork up the crust enough to avoid puffing up in the oven.
- Bake the crust at 375F for about 15 minutes.
- for the topping, separate the spinach leaves from stems, boil the spinach just until the water starts boiling, squeeze all the water from the spinach through your hands, and chop it over a cutting board.
- dice your preferred chicken cut, place a pan over medium to high heat, add oil, minced garlic and chicken, cook the chicken for few minutes, add in the spinach, salt, black pepper and paprika, lastly add in the cream cheese and make sure everything combines well and take the pan off the stove.
- spread the chicken, spinach and cream cheese topping over the baked pizza crust, and top it off with mozzarella, put it back in the oven, this time using the broiler part just until the cheese melts.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 322Total Fat: 25gCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 3gProtein: 20g